Tuesday 30 September 2008

Being Imperfectly Perfect

"They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Maybe if we all spent a little less time beholding -- We'd be a lot happier."---- Doggie Howser, M.D.
~~~~~~~~~~~~

My salmon-coloured candle has an intricate Japanese-inspired carved design on one side and a speckled of gold-dust on the other. I've never seen anything quite like it so I bought it even with its hefty price tag. It has been a resident on our bay window where it stood proudly for years. Never have I tried lighting it up for fear that it would lose its beauty.
One night, for sentimental purposes, I lit it up. An orange glow instantly filled our dim living room. Since then, it has been our constant companion.
Now, it looked worn and torn. The artistic carved design is halfway melted and the specks of gold dust looked like a stream of molten lava.
I realized now that before when it was perfectly formed, it looked boring. Now, with its new melted design, it looked perfect, interesting and much more beautiful.
In modern times glassmaking, a perfect vase is the almost absence of bubbles whereas in the past, a perfect vase would mean the presence of many tiny air bubbles trapped in the glass. Like the vase and the candle, sometimes, certain flaws define a perfect craftmanship and a bubble-free vase and a perfectly formed candle evoke a mediocre and plain design.
I am far from being beautiful. All my life I've lamented my pert nose, at least if it would have been a slight pointy, I would be much happier. But no. I wouldn't succumb to those much hyped plastic surgeries and botox-infested expressionless faces. The results are just all plain boring. Now I've wholly accepted my imperfect nose because it's part of what makes me, ME.
Before when I met Jobert, I had this greatest fear that he wouldn't like me because I'm not perfect, but much to my amusement, he now calls me "a beautiful butterfly." A music to my ears I know and that's what matters most.
So embrace your imperfections because after all, being NOT perfect is your only asset.

5 comments:

UtakMunggo said...

pano yan madam chez eh perfect ako? hala? hehe

Anonymous said...

tumpak...physical attributes are not the main key to a successful relationship...too much beauty is sometimes dull to the eyesight..relate ako neng, ako nga may malaking scar sa forehead,tabatsoy pa...kaya eto single pa rin.hahaha..im happy for you neng.hi kay love mo jan.ingat.

Randy P. Valiente said...

heheeh haler!!!!!!

KRIS JASPER said...

I think pain and our life experiences make us glow.
just like that candle.

chezza said...

Missy UM: eh dyosa ka eh! What do you expect? he,he,he...

Sherwin, I don't know naka-twin mo pala si Harry (Potter)...Mag-magic ka to find your Hermione ;)

Whoa! Rany the Great! napadaan ka, salamat!

Good point KJ! I actually didin't think about that, well spotted! :)