Thursday 23 October 2008

Lost In Translation

I heard a muttered sound of my colleague's voice behind me.

"Phakay sack-sack phashentay khow."


I turned around. "Are you talking to me?" I said. I still can't comprehend what she just uttered.


"Phakay sack-sack phashentay khow." She repeated but this time she showed me two sets of blood culture bottles for her patient.


"Say that again?" I was quite impressed that she just spoke to me in tagalog but with an english accent.


I was laughing so hard after realizing what she just said.
"You're good, aren't you?

"Who taught you that?" I asked her.


"Have I said it right then?" "So, did you understand that? She asked me back.


"My previous Filipino colleagues have taught me a few words but I can't remember some of it now"


"Right, I'm going to *stab your patient but I'm not sure whether I can find a vein coz he's so swollen." I told her.
"But I'll try."

"Thanks!"


"Here you go." I've handed back to her the bottles that were already filled with the patient's samples. "I've not labelled it yet though"


"Oh, you're a star!"


"How do you say, "thank you lovey" in your language?" She asked me.


"Salamat, mahal." I said. "Salamat means thanks and mahal means love."


"Oh, I'll just say mahal. It's easier." "Thanks, mahal" she said.


"Pleasure." I replied.


So, how do you say: "Don't drink and drive or you'll end up in ICU with a smashed head and broken bones?" Another colleague asked me.


"Huwag kang tanga!" I said.


"That short?" he said, a bit impressed.


"Well, that means: Don't be stupid!" I replied.


"Ah, I see."


While on the background, I heard another colleague saying, "coffee, mahal?"


Lordy be! Fortunately, our patients are all sedated or else, they would've thought they're in another country :)

--------------------------------------------------------------

I had a shift once with two other Filipino colleagues. Sometimes, it's fun to work with an all-filipino team but some of them aren't mindful of the fact that speaking in our own language can be rude.
An old lady, bless her, was uncomfortable in her bed and was shifting from one position to the other.

"Are you alright darling?" I asked her.


"I just can't make myself comfy," she said.


"Don't worry, we'll help you."


The three of us helped her (while talking in tagalog in between turns.)


"Thank you, ladies." She said.


"No worries."


"Excuse me love," she called me.


"Am I still in England?"


And that's when I sealed my lips.
-------------------------------------------------
*Stab- is the British term for blood-taking.
And of course in tagalog it means: saksak

10 comments:

UtakMunggo said...

wahahaha i really enjoyed this. how sweet of your colleagues to be curious about our language.

am i still in england? HAHAHHAHAHA there's the clincher.

tatlo lang kami pinoy sa workplace. not enough to make a big impact. hehe

chezza said...

Very friendly sila dito. They don't mind us speaking in tagalog pero siempre when they are around, english na although they don't mind. Iba naman sa singapore, they prevented us from speaking in tagalog sa unit pero sila naman were speaking in chekwa, pana, and malay...which was very unfair kaya kami lahat nag-walkout and lumipad dito,he,he,he....

KRIS JASPER said...

ay sus, yung mga indians lagi kong pinagsasabihan na "dont be rude"... minsan kasi akala nila nasa India pa rin sila.

jOan aka nUdz kUlot said...

ako naman ang nag-iisang pinoy sa resto namin... tawag nila sakin madam filipina girl haha.. epal din sila eh noh..
i find it awkward to speak other languages infront of foreign work colleagues, rude nga ang dating pero anong magagawa naten may freedom naman sa mundo..di ba?!!
di pwede magsalita ng hindi ingles sa dating workplace ko then ng lumipat ako sa resto amp spanish polish indian czech ang naririnig kong mga salita..masakit sa ulo promise!!!!

chezza said...

Ay naku KJ mga ole bole (shakes head) talaga sila noh! Pero katuwa ung isa kong pana na colleague kc marunong siya ng bits lang of tagalog so she introduced an indian doc to me as her "kabayan" so obviously her indian friend have given her a funny look like "what is she talking about?"

Joan, parang United Nations pala ung workplace mo :)

BURAOT said...

pede ba jan si Erap? hehehe.

anyhoo, di pa ata kita nailagay dun sa cachupoy blogroll nung kulapo site kong bago. kukupitin ko yang prfile pic mo ha? kelangan kasi sa blogroll ko me pic para kyut.

hehehe ulet.

chezza said...

Pedeng-pede si Erap kaso baka siya ung hindi makaintindi sa kanila he,he,he....
kita ko nga ung blogroll mo eh, kyut nga!

ka bute said...

kala ko kung anong lengwahe na un eh. hahaha.

chezza said...

English yun! di ko lang alam pano i-spell in an english way....u know what I mean :)

the spool artist said...

well, when the british were in Hongkong and Singapore, did they ever attempt to learn any chinese? hhhmmm...