Thursday 30 October 2008

It Was A Many Year Ago

Three hundred and sixty-five days have gone past and I even haven't noticed that my seventh year here in England have said "hello" and "goodbye" without funfare. Every year for the past six years, my anniversary stay here was always anticipated and celebrated. This year however, it had gone unnoticed.
On a daily basis, I looked forward to going to work, having tea-breaks, coming home from work and just lounging on the sofa. On a weekly basis, I look forward to strutting my stuff to do some retail therapy, going to the cinema or just watching my favorite programme on television. On a monthly basis, I look forward to having a week-end getaway and holidays. It's no wonder why I haven't noticed that important part of my life because I was too busy looking forward.
My very first day here in the UK was spent searching for rice and converting (to peso) my purchased goods. One friend even commented why I spend too much on cheap finds when I can easily afford the expensive ones with my wage. And wage includes the extra shifts you do whenever. It's only on the next succeeding years that I truly understand what she meant.
Now, on my seventh year, I:

Stopped doing the conversion on all my purchases (except for some pinoy products that are ridiculously priced!)

☼ Still adore cheap finds especially on sale. At the end of the day, it's not the price that matters.


Honed my english language to perfection ;)

Got more english friends than pinoys and liked them better too! ( I'm sure you know what I mean)

☼ Have learned to say, "darling" and "love" to strangers like it's second nature.

Have been accustomed to the cold and gray weather.

Loved big breakfast and fish and chips yet still can't function without rice.

Value the importance of washing machines, microwaves and hoovers.

Was best educated through all the travellings I've done here.

Feasted on Indian food for the first time! (I dare tried with too much coaxing)

Am well compensated and valued in my profession.

☼ Am a completely lazy bugger on my days off. And it's perfectly okay to be lazy.


☼ Learned that for one to be happy, one needs to live simply.

☼ Am staying put here. To be uprooted again is next to impossible.


For the past six years, I have been counting the days till my next anniversary, relishing the memories, looking back at my successes and failures. For the past six years, I have been counting myself for existence. This year though, I stopped---counting.

And I realized that the moment you stopped counting, you start living.

6 comments:

BURAOT said...

nakanaks... getting a little bit philosophical too? heheheh.

naalala ko nung bago ako dito. di ako makabili ng kahit ano kako-convert. weheheheh.

UtakMunggo said...

so far, yung love at darling bit pa lang ang talagang naging second nature na rin sa akin. hehe..

dati abnoy na abnoy para sa akin ang tawagin at tumawag ng darling. tapos nung nasanay na,

DARLING NA LAHAT KAHIT GALIT PA AKO. heheh

chezza said...

Mr. Buraot at least ngayon hinde na ako nagco-convert pwera lang ung corned beef from pinas na £2.50! Tsaka ung bus fare na mahal pa kesa minimum wage ng Pinas....

Pareho pala tayo Missy, kahit galit na eh, love pa rin with matching sweet smile...Mga puti talaga!

KRIS JASPER said...

OO nga no, sa pinas di namna uso yung microwave, pero d2, everytime kakain laging minamicrowave muna.

chezza said...

Pati nga fresh beaten eggs eh...try mo :)

Anonymous said...

aaawww ako din dati lagi ko convert yung mga binibili ko sa peso.Ay mahirap nga talaga pag walang washing machine at microwave oven,pag sa pinas okay lang magkusot.