Wednesday 4 June 2008

The Place Promised In Our Early Days

The cold wind gives off the smell of that day. The clouds are drifting fast and in between them I can see the faded blue, like in an old photograph. The straight vapor trail that has just been drawn quietly melts away in the blue as if water has been mixed in. On a day like this, the place deep in my heart that I usually don’t show to anyone slightly hurts. It’s a pain that I usually pretend doesn’t exist.

Because the world hid you from me a long, long time ago, I can’t remember your face or your form very well now. I feel that I made some sort of important promise with you one day. Since then, I’ve come through every day as if holding my breath, and now I realised I can’t remember even that promise. I also don’t even know if I’m standing at the right place right now. I’m certain that I’ll continue to lose you from now on as well.

But, I clearly remember your aura at least.
I remember how your voice echoed in the air.
I remember how your hair reflected the setting sun.
I remember how gentle your fingertips were.
I remember how you and the world were shining.

You know, I hope that my voice will reach you no matter where you are in the world. I would like to become kind and strong. I hope my voice echoes in the air of the world and some day reaches you living somewhere. I hope so, no matter how far the world hides you from me. I hope so, as long as you are alive.

I can hear the sound of that day from the sun-baked rails. Within the wind that blows from far away, your breath is quietly mixed in. Beyond the clouds, there is still the promised place from that day. Although I’m sure the world looked out upon from the green field was full of kindness in those days, I don’t know since when but I am surrounded by solitude and holding a heart creaking under the strain. I’m certain that we’ll continue to lose each other.

But your warmth continues to give me warmth.
I remember how precious the words that came from your lips were to me.
I remember how smoothly your fingernails reflected the sky.
I remember how much your back caused me to tremble.
I remember how much you and the world were full of mysteries.

You know, I pray that my song will reach you no matter where you are in the world. I would like to become kind and strong. I hope that our voices echo in the air of the world and that some day they reach the two of us who live far apart. I hope so, as long as we are alive.

------------------------------------------------------------
(From the Anime of the same title)

No comments: